Friday, November 21, 2014

Sam's Christmas Wish by George D. Durrant, Illustrated by Dan Burr

Sam Edwards isn't looking forward to Christmas, at least not this year. Since losing his job six months before, he hasn't had any luck in finding a new one. He isn't sure how he can give his family a merry Christmas, and the last thing he wants is charity from his neighbors. But when he falls asleep in his living room with his shotgun across his lap just to make sure no one attempts to visit him he wakes up to find his front porch laden with Christmas goodies. But when he tries to find out who left the presents, the freshly fallen snow reveals no footprints.

Years later, Sam's wife has passed away and his children are grown. Old and sick, Sam remembers the kindness of the anonymous stranger from long ago and wishes for an opportunity to bless another's life. So on Christmas Eve, when he sees his neighbor's house on fire, he hopes that he can be the means for another anonymous miracle. Sam's Christmas Wish is a story of love, service, and sacrifice.


I love Christmas picture books.  I love books with a touching message.  This Christmas book is one of my new favorites.  The illustrations are beautiful- so life like and rich.  I absolutely loved them.

I have quite a collection of Christmas books.  Every year I wrap them up and put them in a basket for the month of December.  Then, every night we open a book and read it at dinner.  This is a tradition I love because all of these books bring the spirit of Christmas into my home.  Peace, love and joy.  This book will be a beautiful addition to my collection.  It's about giving and receiving.  It's about love and generosity.  It's about miracles brought through service and sacrifice.  This book brought out emotions in me.  In the beginning I was a bit upset at a father who would deny his children Christmas because of his pride.  But that father learns a valuable lesson and all his life seeks to return the Christmas miracle his family experienced to someone else.  It was so touching.

I love, love, love this book!  My thanks to Shadow Mountain for allowing me to read and review this title for them.

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited by your enthusiastic review. This would be a book to take down off the shelf each year and enjoy during the holidays. Sounds very moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was, Laura. I had my mom read it last night and she cried too. It's a very touching book. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.