Thursday, October 16, 2014

Wayward: The Prodigal Son

Wayward: The Prodigal Son (2014)

PG-13  -  Action | Drama | Romance

A dying father's last wish is to bring his rebellious son back home and into his loving and forgiving arms and reunite his family once again.

I had the opportunity to watch this movie as part of a prescreening for review.  This morning I was up early, before anyone else in the house and decided it was the perfect moment to pop in my earbuds and check Wayward out.  I should have brought a box of tissues along with me before I settled in.  Talk about a tear jerker.  I was crying a river before 8am.

This movie is based on the biblical story of The Prodigal Son.  It is a story I am familiar with and I was interested to see how this movie would go.  I would say that Wayward isn't overly religious or preachy although it does mention God several times and shows a character going to church and reading scripture.  It is based on a Bible story after all.  The movie was overwhelmingly about family and forgiveness and love.  As a parent, I was touched and moved.  There were so many emotions flowing through me.  To watch a child, or any loved one, make decisions that you know will hurt them is heartbreaking.  

What I loved throughout this whole movie was from beginning to end, the love that this father has for his son is constant and strong.  He always let his son know that he loved him.  His words were always to encourage and demonstrate that love.  "I will always support you."  "I will always love you."  "I will be here, waiting for you to come home."  His actions backed up his words.

I really enjoyed this movie, even if it did make me cry.  It was a good reminder to me that love is always the best answer.  Love and forgiveness.  We all need it and we all need to give it to others.

This movie is rated PG-13 for the dicey situations the main character finds himself in.  There is drinking, drugs, gambling, and references to prostitutes.


My thanks to Cedar Fort for allowing me to preview this film for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.