Wednesday, October 22, 2014

The Mirror (Northwest Passage #5) by John Heldt

On September 11, 2020, Ginny and Katie Smith celebrate their nineteenth birthday at a country fair near Seattle. Ignoring the warnings of a fortune-teller, they enter a house of mirrors and exit in May 1964. Armed with the knowledge they need to return to their time, they try to make the most of what they believe will be a four-month vacation. But their sixties adventure becomes complicated when they meet a revered great-grandmother and fall in love with local boys. In THE MIRROR, the continuation of THE MINE and THE SHOW, the sisters find happiness and heartbreak as they confront unexpected challenges and gut-wrenching choices in the age of civil rights, the Beatles, and Vietnam.

This is the fifth book in this Northwest Passage series and now I think I've officially caught up.  I've been reading one every few months for the past year or so and I've enjoyed the journey.

All of these books deal with characters who travel back through time- some of the time travelers are even in the same family!  In this particular story twin sisters travel back through time to the 1960's.  As with all the books I've read by John Heldt, the events and attitudes of the time are accurately done and feel very authentic.  I really love feeling like I am in another time and place.

After finishing the last book, I was a little perturbed at the ending and I said so in my review.  The author told me that the ending in this book would probably be more to my liking and he was right.  I can't help it.  I'm a girl that likes happily ever after and all loose ends tied up nicely.

I don't think this was my favorite of the series, but that may be that in the beginning the books seemed new and fresh.  I do hope that Mr. Heldt continues his writing.  I would love to see a book outside of this time travel genre.  My continues thanks to him for allowing me to read and review his books.

Content:  Mild swearing, sex ouside of marriage. (Nothing descriptive but you know it happens.  Repeatedly. )  Both girls in the book are sexually active in the time they are in and were in the time they came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.