Wednesday, October 1, 2014

A June Bride by Marybeth Whalen


The reality show ended with an engagement, so why doesn’t this feel like the fairy tale she thought it would be?

The Rejection Connection hardly sounds like the place to fall in love, but Wynne Hardy walked off the reality-TV set with an engagement ring. And in the whirlwind of publicity and preparation that follows a TV-bride-to-be in her fifteen minutes of fame, Wynne barely has time to consider how she really feels about her new fiancé . . . to say nothing of how she still feels about her ex.

As the wedding plans develop, so too do Wynne’s doubts: Is she in love with Andy? Or is this really about Callum—the ex-boyfriend who sent her onto Rejection Connection in the first place? A nationally televised snub might be the best revenge . . . but is it a good reason to get married?

When Callum resurfaces at the worst possible moment, Wynne can’t help wondering if she’s made a huge mistake. Is her marriage a publicity stunt? And what happens when the cameras stop rolling, and she has a husband she barely knows?

I was really looking forward to reading this book.  The premise sounded good, one I would be interested in.  I don't know what happened though.  Somewhere it lost it's way and I wasn't as enchanted as I should have been.

The book didn't really focus on the reality TV show so much.  It's more of what happens after Wynne has already picked the guy, Andy, and what happens in the aftermath of the show.  One of my problems, I think, was that I really didn't know either Andy or Callum.  I didn't get a good sense of who either of them were and since both had made some mistakes, I wasn't sure who to set my favor on.  If that makes any sense.

The emotions really did revolve around Wynne and for some reason I had a hard time connecting with her.  I guess I really didn't "get" her.  I don't know.  One thing I do know is that she was confused most of the time.

This wasn't my favorite of the Year of Weddings collection but I still do love the series and I enjoy these light, romantic, inspirational novellas.  My thanks to the publisher, Zondervan, for allowing me to read and review these titles for them.

You can purchase "A June Bride" at Amazon.

1 comment:

  1. This one was so-so for me too. It was hard to know which guy to root for! It seemed that everyone had an ulterior motive. Fun series though! I look forward to each one that comes out :)

    ReplyDelete

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.