Monday, May 12, 2014

What is Hidden by Lauren Skidmore

In a land of masquerades and mystery, Evie is a mask maker in Venesia, where masks represent rank and identity. When a cryptic bandit strips away Evie’s mask and destroys her home, she goes into hiding at the palace to find both a new identity—and revenge. Fantasy lovers will be caught up by the mystique, romance, and magic of "What Is Hidden."

Isn't the cover of this book gorgeous?  I love it.  It is such a good visual representation of the story inside.

Do you think you could wear a mask all day every day for your whole life?  What if that mask basically defined you?  Your rank in society, your occupation?  That is how life is for Evie and everyone who lives in Venesia.  Evie's mask defines her as an artisan and, like her father, a maker of masks.

In one horrific night, Evie's world is changed when a thief steals into their shop, sets fire to their house and kills her father.  Evie is left with nothing but a brand on her cheek that could get her killed if anyone found out.  Desperate and alone, Evie hides in the palace, posing as a servant to survive.

This was an intriguing story of deception and loyalty and love.  I love the whole mask concept and the title of this book that captures the essence of what I was thinking and feeling the whole way through this book.  You can hide so much behind a mask.  Yet, more than physical hiding, you can emotionally hide behind a mask as well.  Can one mask really define you?  How much can you really hide?  It was so interesting.

I enjoyed the characters and the story did have a bit of a Cinderella feel to it in parts.  Aidan is so protective of Evie and you can see his devotion in all his actions.  The friendship between Evie and Aidan is sweet and fun.  I really enjoyed it.

I'm hoping there is another book in the works.  The ending was left WIDE open for more.  I didn't get the complete HEA ending I was looking for.  

This book was easy to read and kept my interest the whole way through.  I appreciated that there was no swearing or sexual content that might keep me from recommending this to my daughter or my nieces.  I think my teenage daughter will really enjoy this one.  She went through a bit of a mask craze at one point so I think she will especially love that aspect of the book.

You can find "What is Hidden" at Amazon.

Lauren Skidmore grew up in Kansas, with stints in Ohio and New York, and currently lives in Utah. She attended Brigham Young University where she earned a BA in English Teaching with an emphasis in Teaching English as a Second Language and Japanese. She then spent a year in Japan teaching and travelling. She hasn’t made it to Europe yet, but it’s on the list and has been to 30 states in the U.S. so far. When she’s not exploring new places, you can probably find her on the internet with fifteen windows open and looking at just one more thing before actually getting something done.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting concept and beautiful cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really love the cover. I think it's beautiful. Makes me wish I had a mask like that.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for being part of the tour!
    (And yes, there is another book in the works. :) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, that cover is FANTASTIC!!!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.