Monday, January 16, 2017

The Innkeeper of Ivy Hill (Tales from Ivy Hill #1) by Julie Klassen


On a rise overlooking the Wiltshire countryside stands the village of Ivy Hill. Its coaching inn, The Bell, is its lifeblood--along with the coach lines that stop there daily, bringing news, mail, travelers, and much-needed trade.

Jane Bell lives on the edge of the inn property. She had been a genteel lady until she married the charming innkeeper who promised she would never have to work in his family's inn. But when he dies under mysterious circumstances, Jane finds herself The Bell's owner, and worse, she has three months to pay a large loan or lose the place.

Feeling reluctant and ill-equipped, Jane is tempted to abandon her husband's legacy and return to her former life of ease. However, she soon realizes there is more at stake than her comfort. But who can she trust to help her? Her resentful mother-in-law? Her husband's brother, who wanted the inn for himself? Or the handsome newcomer with secret plans of his own . . . ?

With pressure mounting from the bank, Jane struggles to win over naysayers and turn the place around. Can Jane bring new life to the inn, and to her heart as well?


I have been struggling to get through this book for months now.  It's almost embarrassing how long it's taken me.  This book moves at a snail's pace- the forward momentum is so slow.  I had a hard time sticking with it.  I hate saying that because I've enjoyed other books by this author but this one was not the same as her others.

I didn't connect with the characters emotionally.  It was all just a struggle for me.  

I do love the cover and I also loved the setting.  Visiting a place like Ivy Hill would be a dream!

I understand that this is the first book in a series and this book is definitely setting the groundwork for more to come.  I probably won't be coming back to this series, but I will be keeping my eye out for books by this author in the future that are more like the previous books I have read.

- I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley.  All opinions expressed are my own.



No comments:

Post a Comment

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.