Friday, March 30, 2012

Review: Promises by Carloyn Twede Frank

From Goodreads:  Hattie is barely twelve when her pa’s “business adventures” disrupt her family and move them to the new town of Tropic, nestled in the shadows of old Ebenezer Bryce’s Canyon. Her pa views the town as opportunity. Hattie is hopelessly shy and views it with apprehension; she dreads the task of making new friends. More than anything else, Hattie wants to be like her father—not afraid of meeting new people, talking to strangers, and standing up for herself. So it is with trepidation that she accepts her pa’s challenge and promises to make new friends.

Hattie forms more promises as she struggles to make friends, finding companionship in places she wouldn’t have expected and learning that there is a difference between complaining and standing up for oneself.

Promises is a heartwarming story of friendship with a touch of mystery and adventure set in the days before Bryce Canyon became a national park. Drawn from the memoirs of Hattie Adair Jolley and her children, it is a realistic glimpse into the past and a delightful story for readers ages eight to eighty.

I think the summary really gives you the whole run down of this story.  "Promises is a heartwarming story of friendship...and adventure."  That is exactly how I would sum up this story.


I spent quite a few of my early years, up until I was about 8 years old, living in Southern Utah very near Zion's Park.  The setting of this book was around the area of Bryce Canyon.  If you've never experienced the beauties of Southern Utah, you really should.  The red rocks of the area are so beautiful to me.  Even now, after decades of being away, when I happen to drive through that area, or see pictures even, I feel like I am coming home.  


I also had a dry wash running right behind my house.  My mother beat into my head the dangers of that wash because you never knew when it was going to fill with water from a rainstorm up in the mountains.  This was another part of Hattie's story that I related to.


 The scenery along with the daily life of the early pioneers to the southwest were interesting and so easy to picture in my mind.  I really enjoyed following Hattie through her life.  She had many experiences that tugged at my heartstrings.   Watching her grow up and find her voice was very sweet.


What a great middle grade historical fiction book.  I'm so glad I had the chance to read it.  My thanks to Carolyn for thinking of me.


You can find out more about Promises and Carolyn Frank by clicking here.
You can purchase Promises in paperback or on the Kindle by clicking here.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the sweet review. I love how you wove your childhood memories of Southern Utah into your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review and a fun connection for you. I also enjoyed the book. My post comes out Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your views on this book. I have never thought that middle grade book might be of interest for me, but Hattie's story sounds really sweet and sincere, so I should definitely give it a try when I have a chance.

    ReplyDelete

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.