Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Mind's Eye (SYNSK #1) by K.C. Finn

A girl with a telepathic gift finds a boy clinging to his last hope during the war-torn climate of Europe, 1940.

At fifteen, Kit Cavendish is one the oldest evacuees to escape London at the start of the Second World War due to a long term illness that sees her stuck in a wheelchair most of the time. But Kit has an extraordinary psychic power: she can put herself into the minds of others, see through their eyes, feel their emotions, even talk to them – though she dares not speak out for fear of her secret ability being exposed.

As Kit settles into her new life in the North Wales village of Bryn Eira Bach, solitude and curiosity encourage her to gain better control of her gift. Until one day her search for information on the developing war leads her to the mind of Henri, a seventeen-year-old Norwegian boy witnessing the German occupation of his beloved city, Oslo. As Henri discovers more about the English girl occupying his mind, the psychic and emotional bonds between them strengthen and Kit guides him through an oppressive and dangerous time.

There are secrets to be uncovered, both at home and abroad, and it’s up to Kit and Henri to come together and fight their own battles in the depths of the world’s greatest war.


I'm happy today to be featuring another book from Clean Teen Publishing.  I was originally going to review a different book but then I went to the Clean Teen Publishing website and thanks to their content guide, realized that that book was not going to be a good fit for me.  Instead, I picked this book which I found free on Amazon and already had in my stash.  :)  

I love Clean Teen Publishing and I'll tell you why.  They are not censoring books, they are giving information on content so I can make decisions about the books that will be the best fit for me.  They give me knowledge.  I love that.  Here's the picture of content for The Mind's Eye .  
You can go to their website and read the full disclosure.  You can do this for any book they publish.  With pre-teen and teenage readers in my house, this is such a useful tool.  Everyone has different comfort levels regarding content and it's nice to know I can know I can find out content before I read.  Yay for Clean Teen Publishing!

The Mind's Eye is set during WWII.  Kit and her brother have been sent off to live with another family in Wales for their protection during the war.  Kit is in a wheelchair, struggling with a debilitating disease which gives the story an added element depth and interest.

Kit is a strong girl.  She gradually comes to realize her strength as she pushes herself to do hard things- both mentally and physically.  It's always nice as a reader to feel like a character is growing in some way.  Kit's was a marked growth and it was so satisfying to see.  

This book created real images in my head that played out much like a movie.  The story held my interest and I wanted to keep reading until I was done.  There was a simple, sweet innocence to this story.  Kit's relationship with Henri was one of growing friendship, loyalty and eventually love.  The supporting cast of characters were all fantastic.

I love historical fiction and I loved that element in this book.  The ending leaves off with room for a sequel, but didn't leave me utterly hanging, which I really appreciated.  I love me some happy endings.  :)

As I mentioned above, I picked up this kindle book free on Amazon.  Hopefully it will still be free when you read this.  And hopefully we will get a sequel to this great book.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for choosing to review The Mind's Eye Aimee. I am delighted that you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.