Monday, January 13, 2014

Does This Insecurity Make Me Look Fat? by Michelle Wilson

• Why do clothing stores hang fun-house mirrors in their dressing rooms?

• The laundry doesn’t cry when it’s not folded, so why should I?

• Can I be confident even if an elevator calls me fat?

Michelle Wilson’s humorous yet poignant insights help women examine the limitations we place on ourselves out of insecurity and self-doubt. We have faith in God, but do we know that He has faith in us?

When we see ourselves with God’s eternal perspective, we can feel confident and whole—even in our imperfection. Just think what we might accomplish if we truly believe that we are more important than we know, stronger than we realize, and extraordinary in every way.

Sometimes you read a book that leaves a permanent mark on your brain and your soul.  This was that kind of book for me.  This is a non-fiction book, religious in nature, full of inspiration, good advice and the pep talk that can get you through life's challenges.  This book is geared mostly to the LDS audience, but I do believe that anyone of any faith would be better for reading this book.

This was the perfect book to start out the new year.  I'm not a resolution maker but I do believe in constantly trying to be better and do better.  I just loved this book.  I loved the messages, the delivery and I loved how it made me feel.  This should be mandatory reading for every LDS woman.

I'm going to try to point to a few things that especially stood out to me.  First is a quote that I actually sent to my son who is serving a mission in England right now.  It suited him so perfectly.  I know it applies to me as well.  It was my first big underlining moment in the book.  (yes, I did underline it.  With a green pen.)

"When we being to catch glimpses of who we really are, we can then begin to see the miracles that God can perform through us.  There are people who need to be loved, to be served, to be taught, to be mended, to be healed.  We are His hands here on earth, and our greatest joy is to be found when we are actively engaged in a good cause and furthering His work and purposes." (pg. 17)

The next part I really loved was in the chapter "I'm Right Here".  It talks about God having faith in us.  It says, "He has faith in me.  He knows I can overcome.  He expects nothing less, because He knows I can do it. . . If God tells me I can do it, then I must accept that.  God is perfect- He cannot lie.  Therefore, I must be able to do anything He asks me to do."

I loved the call to action.  We cannot be lukewarm, we must get up and do something, be something.  We must do it in the right way.

I feel like I'm giving you the whole book here but I honestly loved it.  I'm going to go back and read it more carefully- looking up scriptures and spending time pondering for my own enlightenment.  This book inspired me to change some things.  It inspired me to do better and to be better.  Thank you Michelle Wilson for sharing this with me. 

Michelle Wilson is a stay-at-home mom, blogger, speaker, and writer. Through serving a full-time mission, teaching seminary and Sunday School classes, and speaking at firesides and conferences, Michelle has developed a love of the gospel and its simplicity. She is a lover of God, family, laughter, and chocolate (pretty much in that order). Michelle lives with her husband, Jerey, and their three children in Washington State.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the kind words Aimee! I'm so glad you liked it. It's a message that really is for all of us--God wants us to have joy, and He knows where we can find it, in Him and in ourselves. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.