Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Meet Me In Talkeetna by Kari Monet

 




Athletic, vivacious, and enormously gifted, Sammy Bluefield has just graduated college and is ready for her next adventure: teaching elementary school in Talkeetna, Alaska. She’s immediately embraced by the village’s weird and wonderful: Lacey, her best friend and roommate; Walter, the octogenarian dumpster diver and self-proclaimed millionaire; and Blake, the quiet but competent hottie who lives on the mountain with his Gramps.  But when Sammy injures her knee at the same time the sun disappears for the winter, she finds herself in a perfect storm of mental illness. Her depression threatens her work at the school, her growing attachment to Blake, and even her life. In order to heal, Sammy must face her condition and ultimately, must face herself.


I've got a book for you today from debut author, Kari Monet!  It can be a little scary as a reader/reviewer agreeing to read a brand new author because, well, it's brand new!  None of my reader friends have read it so I don't know how it's going to be.  But guess what, sometimes you just have to take a chance and see where it takes you.  I had a good feeling about this book after reading the blurb so I decided to jump in.  I'm so glad I did.

Sammy has a big personality.  Impulsive, fun, shiny and engaging.  Until she isn't.  Depression is a beast and it sure sucks the life out of Sammy.  I thought the author did a great job of showing the light and then the darkness.  The struggle looked and felt real.  

We get multiple first person viewpoints in this book as it alternates between Sammy, Blake and Lacey (best friend).  I liked that as it helped me connect with them and their own battles as Sammy struggled.  Blake is a gem and he really shows up for Sammy in a big way- physically, mentally and emotionally.  Lacey is also a true best friend.

I wouldn't say this is a romantic comedy.  It was a bit too heavy for that, in my opinion.  But it was sweet and it was romantic.  The Alaska setting was fun (and cold- haha).  That's somewhere I have no desire to live.  Ever.  But it might be fun to visit on the very warmest day of the year.

I really enjoyed this book.  I hope to see another book from this author in the near future!  Cheers to taking a chance on a new book by a new author!  <clink>

This book is on KU if you have that.

Content:  mild peril.  Kissing. Depression in depth, suicide mentioned (in case those are triggers for you).  The characters go to church and God is mentioned but there isn't anything more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.