Thursday, January 28, 2016

A Cupcake Christmas (Touchstone Series #5) (A Christmas Elf Romance) by Beth Barany


What if you risked losing your baking legacy by cooking up a love truly special?

Florian MacMillian needs a final job to complete his baking resume—preferably a job where he’s unlikely to blow things up with his unruly magic—before returning to the North Pole and taking his rightful place as Master Baker to all the elves.

Kate Delore desperately needs help in her fast-growing cupcake business. Florian is a perfect fit, so she brings him on as baker. For a short time, Florian is happily up to his elbows in batter, and Kate’s business is booming.

But when things heat up between them, Florian wonders if he should risk his legacy to cook up something truly special.

 * Amazon * Goodreads *

If you are looking for a quick romantic read with a touch of magic- you might want to check this one out.  Be warned though: don't read while hungry.  You will be craving all kinds of cupcakes.

I haven't read any other books by this author and this is the fifth book in this Touchstone series.  I got a glimpse of some other characters that might have been in previous books, but I don't think that made any difference in reading this book.  It can stand alone.

The whole premise for this book is fun.  Elf falls in love with cupcake girl.  He must choose between her and his magic.  Unfortunately, I didn't feel the chemistry between Florian and Kate.  I read about it, but I just didn't feel it.  The connection between me and the characters was missing.  My tummy never got the flutters, my heart never pounded.  I was  never dying to know what came next.  Everything was cute, it just fell a little flat for me.  I read this right on the heels of a fun, romantic book that did give me flutters and heart palpitations and I just couldn't put it down so I cannot help but compare the two.

Florian and Kate jump into bed together pretty quickly after knowing each other only a few days.  Their sexual relationship is not described in any detail but you know it happens.  Other than this, the book is clean.

I loved the setting.  I grew up with Oakland and San Francisco in my backyard so reading about it was a bit like going home.  I love San Francisco.  I also loved the cupcake aspect.  Those cupcakes sounded so yummy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.