Thursday, February 9, 2012

Review: The Lifeguard by Deborah Blumenthal

It's an unsettled summer for Sirena. Back in Texas, her family's splitting apart, but here in Rhode Island, at the cottage of her free-spirited aunt, it's a different world. There are long days at the beach and intriguing encounters with him. Pilot. He's the lifeguard with shamanic skills. He both saves her and makes her feel lost at sea. Sirena explores her obsession with Pilot and discovers his mysterious--almost magical--gifts.    

Can you remember how if feels to be sixteen?  I'm pretty sure this book will help you remember.  For me, it's been awhile.  But reading about Sirena's obsession with Pilot and her desire to get his attention really reminded me of being that age.

I actually really loved the growing relationship Sirena had with the older man at the beach.  That was my favorite part of the book.  He listens and guides Sirena through feelings and confusion with a gentle hand.  I felt like that was the relationship that was real and allowed Sirena to understand people and connections better.

I sometimes felt as though the story got a bit wordy.  I found myself wanting to skim through until I got to the next point of talking or action.  On the flip side, from a girl who loves the beach, I could really envision the beach and hear the waves.  The descriptions were good.  I wanted to be there.

Overall, I liked the story.  This wasn't a writing style that I really connected to but it was a good read.  Not my favorite, but good.  :)  I'm pretty sure that the cover alone will sell very well in the YA crowd.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.