Saturday, October 4, 2014

The Trouble with Flirting by Rachel Morgan


Labelled a nerd for most of high school, Livi sees her first year of university as a chance to redefine herself. She can finally enter the popular crowd and maybe even land herself a super hot boyfriend. But Livi’s about to discover that the price of popularity may be more than she’s willing to pay, and that what—and who—she wants most has always been right in front of her.

This was sort of a coming of age story for Alivia.  It is her first year living away from home, on her own, making her own choices and spreading her wings.  It includes many firsts and navigating those tricky waters of freedom.

Alivia is determined that her university years are going to be different than her high school years.  University is her time to break out of the labeled shell she was in and become someone new and in her opinion, better.  Only it doesn't really go the way Livi thinks it will and in the process she loses parts of herself that not only made her happy but made up who she really is.  It was a long, hard battle because Livi is very determined, but I was glad to see in the end that Livi learned a valuable lesson about being happy with herself.

Yeah, Livi isn't perfect.  She makes lots of "dumb" mistakes.  But those mistakes made her human and real.  We can all releate to making mistakes, I think.  Adam is a good friend to Livi.  He is, for the most part, patient and he is there when she falls.  Adam grew on me as the story progressed.  He is a solid guy and I liked that.

I loved the South Africa setting, the mental pictures the book created for me and even the lesson in slang.  :)  The overall story was one that anyone romantic at heart will love.  You can't help but breathe a contented sigh at the end.  

Content:  There was mild swearing, sexual innuendo and one scene where a boy tries to force himself on a girl at a party.  There is drinking and drugs.  For these reasons, I would recommend the older YA age group for this book.  This book won't make it into my teenage daughter's hands because of the previously mentioned things.  

My thanks to the author, Rachel Morgan, for allowing me to read and review for her.  This is the second book in the Trouble series.  


1 comment:

  1. what a great review ty for sharing with me I think i will deff recommend this to my niece im always looking for books her and i can read together

    ReplyDelete

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.