Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Queen of Someday: A Stolen Empire Novel by Sherry D. Ficklin

Before she can become the greatest empress in history, fifteen-year-old Sophia will have to survive her social-climbing mother’s quest to put her on the throne of Russia—at any cost.

Imperial Court holds dangers like nothing Sophia has ever faced before. In the heart of St. Petersburg, surviving means navigating the political, romantic, and religious demands of the bitter Empress Elizabeth and her handsome, but sadistic nephew, Peter. Determined to save her impoverished family—and herself—Sophia vows to do whatever is necessary to thrive in her new surroundings. But an attempt on her life and an unexpected attraction threatens to derail her plans.

Alone in a new and dangerous world, learning who to trust and who to charm may mean the difference between becoming queen and being sent home in shame to marry her lecherous uncle. With traitors and murderers lurking around every corner, her very life hangs in the balance. Betrothed to one man but falling in love with another, Sophia will need to decide how much she’s willing to sacrifice in order to become the empress she is destined to be.

In a battle for the soul of a nation, will love or destiny reign supreme?

Oh, wow.  Okay.  Where do I start?

This book is loosely based on Catherine the Great who I honestly know very little about.  But whenever I read books that are based (even loosely) on people from history, it makes me want to know more about them.  I'm going to have to go online and do a bit of research, I think.

This book pulled me in from the very beginning.  I was instantly riding in a sled in Russia, freezing cold and dreaming of summer and happier times when bandits set upon me.  I love when books instantly claim my attention and hold me there.  Feeling like you are a part of a book is what reading is all about.  At least for me.

Sophia carries the weight of the world on her shoulders.  She is trying to protect her family and save them from ruin.  She has to gain the favor of the Imperial Court or be forced into a marriage with her old and nasty uncle.  People want her dead (and they almost succeed), the prince is an unbalanced drunk with a mean streak, and so of course she falls in love with a man she can never have.  Then the secrets and pressure mount.  There is drama and intrigue swirling around on every page in this book.  

Every time I had to put this book down, I was thinking about it and couldn't wait to get back to it.  Even though this book has main characters that fall into the YA range, this isn't necessarily a book I would classify as YA.  I won't be passing it off to my teenager simply because of all the sexual interactions in this book.  There are no explicit sex scenes or anything descriptive at all but sex is mentioned a lot and people are having sexual relations outside of marriage and also with other people while married to another.  While I recognize that this may have been par for the historical setting, it isn't something I want my teenager focusing on.  

This is a book from Clean Teen Publishing.  Because of their simple awesomeness, you can go there and read a content guide for this book.  You can also watch the trailer and enter to win the book for yourself!

You can also purchase this book on Amazon.  Today is release day!




1 comment:

  1. This sounds fantastic, I love reading books set in Russia and I'd like to especially try more historical fiction. It's great when a book is so good it's difficult to put down, those are the best kinds.

    ReplyDelete

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.