Friday, October 24, 2014

Stars, Stockings and Shepherds by Shersta Chabot, Illustrated by Corey Egbert

Do you know the symbolism behind evergreens, sheep, or the color red? This adorably illustrated picture book teaches the meanings behind 24 Christmastime objects and is the perfect gift for any children, parents, or grandparents on your list. Make your family’s holiday season one to remember with this inspiring reminder of the gospel roots behind our treasured Christmas traditions.

I love all the symbolism that surrounds Christmas.  This book does such a great job of explaining the symbols in a way that children will understand.  The pictures are perfect- colorful and happy.  I'm having visions of curling up on the couch with a snuggy blanket and the little ones close, sharing a few precious minutes of quiet time to think of and remember Jesus Christ, whose birth and life we celebrate at Christmastime.

I loved this book.  I wish I would have had it when my kids were little!  I had a tradition when my kids were little of wrapping up all my children's Christmas books and putting them in a basket.  The kids unwrapped one book every day before Christmas and we read it together.  As my collection grew, we were able to start earlier and earlier in December.  It was a fun tradition and one I hope to start up again when I have grandchildren!  This will be a fantastic addition to my Christmas book collection.

Another thought I had was wrapping up each symbol from the book and letting the kids open it and read about the symbol for the day.  There is 24 in this book which would be the perfect countdown to Christmas.  If only my kids were younger!!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.