Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Alienology



Have you ever seen kids fight over a book?  I mean, fight to actually read it?  Like yelling and grabbing and running away to hide with the book kind of fighting?  There might have even been some pinching in there too.  I have to say I secretly felt a bit giddy over this fighting.  Fighting over a book?  Really?  That's awesome!

The nice people at Candlewick Press sent this book over to review.  You can read my full review for content on The Literate Mother.  http://www.theliteratemother.org.  Here, I will just tell you that we loved this book at our house.  After the fighting, that is.  Each of my kids looked through it and then at the dinner table we all looked through it together.  We laughed and talked and had a great time.  Those are the moments that make life great, I think.  A book that can do that should be labeled "fantabulous"!


Alienology is just fun.  There are fun pictures, flaps to lift, stories to read and secrets to be found.  We learned the universal gestures for aliens and are now ready to communicate.  Well, at least to say hello, thank you and goodbye.  Which my husband says is all we really need to say.  And quickly.  We learned about alien brains and the evolution of eyeballs.  There were things to touch, but be careful of the S.L.I.M.E!  (Surface-Living Intelligent Multiplying Endolith) It will consume you in order to grow!  Luckily, I was one of the few humans immune to it.  There are charts to compare different species of aliens, and it tells you which are friendly and which are not. Very important.  Do you want to know how big they are?  How long they live?  Where they live?  It's all in this book.  As my kids would say, "It's awesome!"

This would make a great Christmas present for girls and boys alike.  My girls loved it just as much as my boy.  Okay, I really liked it too.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.