Saturday, June 18, 2011

Indelible by Kristen Heitzmann

From Goodreads:
When Trevor MacDaniel, a high country outfitter, rescues a toddler from the jaws of a mountain lion, he can’t foresee the far-reaching consequences of his action, how it will entwine his life with gifted sculptor, Natalie Reeve—and attract a grim admirer. 
 
Trevor’s need to guard and protect is born of tragedy, prompting his decision to become a search and rescue volunteer. Natalie’s gift of sculpting comes from an unusual disability that seeks release through her creative hands. In each other they see strength and courage as they face an incomprehensible foe.
 
Drawn by the heroic story of the child’s rescue, a twisted soul sees Trevor as archangel and adversary, and threatens their peaceful mountain community—testing Trevor’s limits by targeting their most helpless and innocent.


Wow.  I’m still thinking about this book, wondering about it.  The main characters were real and touchable, if that makes sense.  The struggles were identifiable.  Both Trevor and Natalie were great characters and I liked them.


The book starts off with a bang and really never lets up.  It’s fast paced and has all the elements that I enjoy in a book.  Tension, romance, mystery…

I admit to being a bit lost when it came to the “evil” and “darkness”.  It was creepy, for sure, especially in the beginning.  I’m not sure I completely got the connection from what I read throughout the book of the “darkness” and what it turned out to be in the end.  In the beginning, the “darkness” says, “what use is darkness if not to try the light?”  He sure didn’t come across in the beginning as a grim admirer.  He came across as evil and possessed.  Somewhere along the way it shifted to grim admirer, someone who was looking for help, but so much along the way gave you a totally different impression.  It was sometimes confusing.

I really enjoyed the progression of the plot, the desire to know pushing me forward.  I wanted to understand what was happening with the antagonist.   I guess it was the ending that left me wondering.  What happened to the dark being?  How about the loss of the gift for the main character?  Does she continue with her art? 

There were so many characters in this book, and I think not having read the first book hindered me a bit in that area.  I did get a feel for a previous story, but didn’t have that connection to those characters.  I’d like to go back and read Indivisible.  Overall, this was a good read.  I enjoyed the writing style and the tension in the book.

I received this book courtesy of Blogging For Books for my honest review.

4 comments:

  1. Hey stopping by from follow friday, great choices & great blog! Looking forward to more posts. Have a great weekend. New follower!

    Darcy @ Open Book Empty Cup

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very different from what I've been seeing everywhere. I'd like to read it for the new ideas - and high drama. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this would be a good read. Thanks for the review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds great. I really like how Christian suspense is really getting better and better.

    ReplyDelete

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.