Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A Couple Baseball Book Reviews: Pujols: More Than the Game and Tale of A Baseball Dream

Is it spring?  Well, it's sure not where I live!  Snow is in the forecast today.... SIGH.  But, in the baseball world, spring training has started!  In honor of that, here are a couple baseball book reviews.  I love baseball!  :)
Pujols:  More Than the Game
By Scott Lamb and Tim Ellsworth

Does the name Albert Pujols mean anything to you?
 In 2010 Pujols became the first player in baseball history to bat .300 with 30 home runs and 100 runs batted in for ten consecutive seasons.  That is something that Babe Ruth, Ted Williams and Hank Aaron did not do.  In the 2010 season Pujols also hit 408 home runs.  Every time he touched home plate he pointed toward heaven, giving credit to a power higher than himself.

 If you aren’t a fan of baseball and statistics don’t impress you, perhaps Albert’s off the field deeds will impress you. 

Albert Pujols was born in the Dominican Republic where poverty prevails but so does baseball.  In his teenage years, the Pujols family immigrated to the US where Albert enrolled in high school, started playing baseball and learned about Jesus Christ.  From that time on he has tried to live his life as a good Christian man.  He has foundations to help kids and families with Down Syndrome because with his own daughter affected by this disability, he knows how it is.  Pujols also frequently and freely gives back to his own birthplace in Dominican Republic, helping with medical care and necessities of life.

Those close to Albert speak highly of him as a man and as an athlete.

I enjoyed reading through this book.  I love baseball and there is no doubt that Albert Pujols is an amazingly talented athlete.  His statistics speak for themselves.  It’s nice to read about the good efforts he is making to help others and give back.  This was a well written biography.  It’s wasn’t a stay up past midnight to finish it kind of book, but it was interesting and definitely left me feeling good.  Here is my favorite line from the book.  “This isn’t only about being a baseball player.  It’s about having the opportunity to change lives.”

Tale of a Baseball Dream
“World’s Greatest Baseball Story”
By Jerry Pearlman

Dusty Hunter has loved baseball all his life and he’s worked hard to be the best he can be.  With the help of his dad, he has spent countless hours batting and catching.  Don’t let Dusty’s small stature fool you because his big heart and determination more than make up for it. 

Entwined throughout the story of Dusty is another story of baseball great “Bubba ‘the Brute’ Brugosee”. These two stories make up an inspiring “Tale of a Baseball Dream”.

I love baseball.  It’s in my blood.  Even sitting here now I can hear the crack of the bat and feel the crowds in the stadium all around me.  Peanuts and hot dogs, warm summer days.  Take me out to the ballgame!  This book was exactly what it proclaims to be; a sweet and inspiring tale of a baseball dream.  It could be the dream of any young boy starting out in tee ball and little league baseball.  I enjoyed reading this book.  It left me with a smile on my face and that is a very good thing.  This book is recommended for ages 8-12 and I completely agree.  My sincere thanks to Jerry Pearlman for sending me this book to read and review.

1 comment:

  1. blog hopping and hopped on over.
    I just picked up pujolds book. i will be reading sometime next week, I have a line, lol

    ReplyDelete

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.