Saturday, August 29, 2020

The Enemy (It Happened in Charleston #2) by Sarah Adams

 

It’s been twelve years since I’ve seen him. Twelve years since he won our war of wits by outsmarting me with a tactic I didn’t even know was allowed. But tonight…I resurrect the battle.

Ryan Henderson is back in town for our best friends’ wedding, and I plan on showing him exactly how much I don’t care about him—or the almost kiss he ruthlessly dangled over me after graduation.

A lot has changed since our feuding days. I'm a successful bakery owner now, and I plan to rub every delicious detail of my life in his ugly face.

Just one problem: his face is gorgeous.

He wasn’t supposed to look like this or pursue me like a sexy guided missile. I must stay strong until the wedding is over and Ryan scurries back into whatever alternate universe he escaped from.

His interest in me is nothing but a continuation of the games we played in high school...right?

But the longer he stays, the more I wonder if I’m wrong and his tender smile and heated attentions are genuine. Maybe it’s not a game.

Ha! Who am I kidding? This is Ryan we’re talking about. Of course it’s a game. A game called war. And this time, I will win.

  * Amazon * Goodreads

 

I have a confession.  I was so worried heading into this book- worried that it wouldn't be as good as the first one, worried that I would be disappointed.  It's just that The Match was SO good and I loved it SO much.  I really had my hopes up with this book, all the fingers crossed.  You know?  Please let it be as good.  Please, please.

Ha!  It is now fair and safe to say that this book exceeded all my expectations.  It is possible that I loved it more than the first book (that feels like betrayal though).  Thank you, Sarah Adams, for once again giving me another book to drool and swoon over.  Thank you SO much. 

This book is written in first person, dual perspective.  I love both of those things!!  Actually, it has all the things I love and long for in a good romantic book.  

1. Humor.  I absolutely love to be entertained.  This book has so many moments that made me smile.  Honestly.  It was such good entertainment.

2.   Attraction.  This book is absolutely busting at the seams and sizzling with attraction.  Yummy, yummy, toe curling attraction.  Yes, please.  I want this every single time.

3.  Excellent Pacing.  I love when a book sucks me in from the very beginning and doesn't let me go.  This book is full on emotion and entertainment from start to finish.  I couldn't put it down.  And yes, I probably read it way too fast.  I couldn't help myself.  This is the kind of book I will want to go back and read again so maybe next time I will savor it more?  Ha.  That's a lie.  I want to go back and read it right now and I know I won't slow down or savor it.  I'll be full steam ahead to my favorite parts.

4.  Emotion.  There has to be some emotional connection to the characters or a book will not be great to me.  The more you come to know both June and Ryan, the more you love them.  Their backstories unfold throughout the book and it really helps to know what made them who they are in the now moments of this book.  I appreciated that the "tragic" bits never felt overwhelming.  Important, but never overwhelming as to distract me from my euphoria.  😍 

Clearly, I loved this book.  

This book is on Kindle Unlimited.

Content: kissing, innuendo 

- I did receive a complimentary copy of this book but have also bought my own copy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.