Monday, June 1, 2015

Beyond the Fortuneteller's Tent by Kristy Tate


When Petra Baron goes into the fortuneteller’s tent at a Renaissance fair, she expects to leave with a date to prom. Instead, she walks out into Elizabethan England, where she meets gypsies, a demon dog and a kindred spirit in Emory Ravenswood.

Emory must thwart the plans of religious zealots. His mission is dangerous, his enemies are fanatical, and Petra Baron is a complication that Heaven only knows he does not need. Or does he? Although Emory is on Heaven’s errand, he learned long ago that Heaven does not always play fair.

As Petra slowly falls for Emory, she wonders if he really is who he seems, or if he is just as lost as she is. How can they have a future while trapped in the past? Or is anything possible Beyond the Fortuneteller’s Tent?

 * GoodreadsAmazon *

This book started out really slow for me.  I had a really hard time staying with it and pushing through.  But I did, and things did pick up.  I can't really pinpoint what made this book so difficult for me to settle into.  Something in the execution, I guess, because the plot is a good one and even the characters show promise.

Petra is young.  I guess that's how I would describe her.  I didn't really connect to her on a personal or emotional level and I didn't see a lot of growth in her.  Emory is an enigma to Petra as well as me.  I think I got a better clue of who he was as the book progressed, but there is still so much left unsaid.  

The ending?  I'm not sure I buy it.  

I don't know.  I would give this book three stars if I were rating it.  There were parts I really enjoyed but things sort of weaved in and out of enjoyment for me.

Content:  A couple instances of mild swearing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.