Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Mine by John A Heldt

In 2000, Joel Smith is a cocky, adventurous young man who sees the world as his playground. But when the college senior, days from graduation, enters an abandoned Montana mine, he discovers the price of reckless curiosity. He emerges in May 1941 with a cell phone he can't use, money he can't spend, and little but his wits to guide his way. Stuck in the age of Whirlaway, swing dancing, and a peacetime draft, Joel begins a new life as the nation drifts toward war. With the help of his 21-year-old trailblazing grandmother and her friends, he finds his place in a world he knew only from movies and books. But when an opportunity comes to return to the present, Joel must decide whether to leave his new love in the past or choose a course that will alter their lives forever. THE MINE follows a humbled man through a critical time in history as he adjusts to new surroundings and wrestles with the knowledge of things to come.

I'm usually a sucker for time travel novels.  It's such a fun concept to fantasize about.  This book was all about time travel and I was sucked in to the story of Joel the -fly by the seat of his pants- guy.  Joel is adventurous, calm and collected.  He sure doesn't seem ruffled by much.  He has a gregarious nature that draws people to him.  I found him to be a believable character.

It was cool to travel back to the 1940's with Joel.  It was such a life changing point in time with war on the fringes.  I thought the worries of the draft and other social concerns of that era came through beautifully.  I could picture the outings and the clothing in my mind.  I love when that happens.

This book was easy reading.  It weaved a good story that I was interested in.  The characters were all well defined and had personality spilling over.  My one wish (and if you follow my blog you will be able to guess this) would be to take the swearing out.  Just not a fan of that.  But, I always acknowledge that I know this is a personal preference not shared by everyone.  I just have to say it because many people who follow my blog do want to know.  :)

I have to also say that the author, John, was so good to be very up front about the content in his book, which I really appreciate.  My thanks to him for allowing me to read and review his book and my congratulations on a book well done.

Content:  This book had about two handfuls of swearing- everything but the F word.  There is also behind the scenes sex but nothing descriptive.  You just know it happened.


John A. Heldt is a reference librarian and the author of THE MINE, THE JOURNEY, THE SHOW, and THE FIRE, the first four novels of the critically acclaimed Northwest Passage time-travel series. The former award-winning sportswriter and newspaper editor has loved getting subjects and verbs to agree since writing book reports on baseball heroes in grade school. A graduate of the University of Oregon and the University of Iowa, he is an avid fisherman, sports fan, home brewer, and reader of thrillers and historical fiction. When not sending contemporary characters to the not-so-distant past, he weighs in on literature and life at johnheldt.blogspot.com.


1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this book plus the others in the series.

    http://www.teenaintoronto.com/2013/10/book-mine-2013-john-heldt.html

    ReplyDelete

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.