Saturday, May 19, 2012

Review: Daisy by Josi Kilpack

Motherhood is not for the faint of heart. And no one knows that better than Daisy. Raising two kids as a divorced, single mom, Daisy has faced each and every one of the obstacles in her life with courage and determination.

Now with her oldest daughter ready to have a baby of her own, her youngest daughter ready to graduate from high school, and her new husband, Paul, ready to embrace the life of an empty-nester, Daisy feels like she might finally be able to check "motherhood" off her list of things to do.

Except life often has a mind of its own. When, at age of forty-six, Daisy suddenly finds herself facing a very different future than the one she had planned--and an uncomfortable evaluation of the past she thought she understood--she realizes that there is still some growing up she needs to do.

Looking for a distraction to escape the growing tension at home, Daisy joins the Newport Ladies Book Club, where she meets Paige, Athena, and Olivia--unlikely friends who offer encouragement and support when Daisy's perfectly crafted life is turned upside-down.

I'm so excited to be a part of the continuing reviews for The Newport Ladies Book Club.  I love this idea of writing books that are set in the same point in time but from the life and view of four different ladies.  Daisy is the second book released.  Olivia was the first book and you can find my review for that book here.  One of the great things about these books is that you can pick them up and read them in any order.  

I really loved Daisy.  The book and the character.  I  think Daisy has the experiences and mind set that many women will relate to.  I was pulled into her emotions and really felt for her.  Rarely does life go the way we hope and plan for and Daisy's life is proof of that in bucket loads.  She faces mistakes, misunderstandings, strained family relationships, betrayal and hurt but also new friendships, healing and hope.

I hate to say too much or give too much away.  The one thing I was sad about was the ending.  I knew coming into this series that not every story had a happily ever after ending but I was hoping for at least some resolution.  Daisy is just left hanging.  I wasn't ready for the book to end.  I wasn't ready to give Daisy up.  I wanted more.  I still want more.  Maybe I'll get to hear more about Daisy later in another book?  I really, really hope so.  I need to know what happens with Daisy!

You really ought to give this series a try if you haven't already.  So far it's been fantastic!  Paige is the next book in the series, coming out in August.  Something fun to look forward to.  I just love this concept of writing with the overlapping and connecting stories.

You can check out the official website for The Newport Ladies Book Club by clicking here.

For more information on how this series works, you can click here.

Purchase Daisy at the following places:

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for your review! I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this book before (hangs head in shame). I'm a big fan of Josi's other books, and this one sounds like it would be awesome. I'm definitely going to pick it up! Thanks for reviewing it-I may not have known about it otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Olivia and have been waiting to get my hands on Daisy! I can't wait to read more about her character and struggles. Although I'm a little worried since you mentioned not all the stories have happy endings. I love the concept of having the four books sort of overlap and cover the same events from the different perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you loved Daisy and were emotionally invested in her - which shows how great the book was.

    Thanks for the great review:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab review! It sounds great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Josi Kilpack and really want to read this series because I think it is such a clever concept to have the book club with different authors writing different books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't know this book. Sounds good though. Thanks for sharing.

    Valerie
    StuckInbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a wonderful book in an even more wonderful series. I love that she forms a book club and finds good, supportive friends to help her through

    ReplyDelete
  9. Judging by your review this is a great book . Its tough raising children alone. and sometime life does give us unexpecting rewards along the way. The joy you expressed in reading her book makes me want to read it to. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have definitely sold me on wanting to read Daisy. What an interesting concept to tell the same story from so many different points of view.
    Tracy Awalt Juliano

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome review I will be looking this book up to add to me TBR stack thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice review. Sounds like a sweet book :) But the ending sounds so awaful :( Too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never heard of this series before. It sounds really good. I don't know why but the books without a happily ever after ending , I find them more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think I can handle any more sad books, they're all I've been reading but I will check out the series and maybe add this to by 'to read' pile when I'm overdosing on too many happy endings. I'm already interested in the Daisy. Thanks for introducing me to a new series. :)

    Isa @ Lollibean

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is the first I've heard of these books and am really intrigued. Great review

    ReplyDelete

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.