Thursday, July 7, 2011

Review: Solstice by P.J. Hoover

From Goodreads:
Piper’s world is dying. Global warming kills every living thing on Earth, and each day brings hotter temperatures and heat bubbles which threaten to destroy humanity. Amid this Global Heating Crisis, Piper lives with her mother who suffocates her more than the chaotic climate. When her mother is called away to meet the father Piper has been running from her entire life, Piper seizes an opportunity for freedom. 

But when Piper discovers a world of mythology she never knew existed, she realizes her world is not the only one in crisis. While Gods battle for control of the Underworld, Piper's life spirals into turmoil, and she struggles to find answers to secrets kept from her since birth. And though she’s drawn to her classmate Shayne, he may be more than he claims. Piper has to choose whom she can trust and how she can save the people she loves even if it means the end of everything she’s ever known.

I really want to talk about this book.  I hope some of you out there will talk with me about it...


When I first read this was a dystopian meets mythology book, I was so unsure how it would all come down.  I'm still not sure I would label it as dystopian because at the beginning, it seemed like it was, but then when you find out what is really going on, it really is more mythological.  Right?  Because the reasons for the Global Warming have to do with mythology.


Anyway, no matter how you label it, this book turned out to be one of the most compelling books I've read in awhile.  Talk about a page turner!  I polished it off fast and I've been thinking about it for days. I really loved the face paced nature and the tension in this book.  I enjoyed how the story gradually unfolded to me.  The underworld was fantastic and I swear I could picture it like a movie in my mind.  Having lived in AZ for years, I could even feel the heat!  :)  I thought Piper was a fabulous character, real and caring, yet strong too.


Here's my trouble with the book, and I realize that I'm not going to be in the majority with this way of thinking.  The dude in the underworld that grabs his penis and throws it around?  Really?  Was that needed?  All that talk about it was just unnecessary for me.  I didn't even think it needed to be there to accomplish the goal of the scene.  The other thing was when it talked about Piper's nipples getting hard when "he" touched them.  (wouldn't want to give too much away here)  Another thing I just didn't think was helpful to the book's progress.  I wouldn't want my young teenager to be reading that.  Can't we just leave it at kissing?


Ugh, for me, if you leave out those couple of things, I would be raving love about this book.  Those things just make it a bit icky for me.


Having said that, I will say that P.J. Hoover has a real talent for writing.  Her story here was such a good one and I really enjoyed reading it.  I love books that leave me thinking about them for days to come.  And I love when a book can pull me into it.  Not all books can do that.


And for my friends who care, there was implied sex, although not described in any detail in addition to the above mentioned scenes.


You can pick this e-book up for Kindle at Amazon for $2.99.  What a great buy!


So, tell me.  Have you read this book?  What did you think?

3 comments:

  1. I've found your review very informative. I think it's been written excellently! I first heard of Solstice when I visited P.J.'s site a few months back. I haven't read many reviews for it and yours is the first I've read that discusses the needless sexual imagery. I appreciate that you've mentioned it as it has helped me decide whether it would be suitable reading material for my younger cousin. Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read it yet, but I have heard of it, although I didn't know it was about global warming. That alone makes it a book that I'd want to read. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to read this book for a long time now... awesome review! makes me want to read it now :)

    ReplyDelete

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.